- What is Medicaid?
Medicaid is a state funded insurance that that provides coverage to low income families, pregnant women, newborns, and children that may not be able to afford to purchase their own care.
- Who is eligible for Medicaid?
The following groups qualify for Massachusetts Medicaid:
- Children 0 - 12 months with a household income less than 200% of the Federal Poverty Limit (FPL);
- Children 1 - 18 years with a household income less than 150% of the FPL;
- Pregnant women with a household income less than 200% of the FPL;
- Adults with a household income less than 133% of the FPL.
- How do I find out if I am eligible for Medicaid?
To find out if you are eligible for Medicaid, you must fill out an application for Medicaid or CHIP. You may fill out an application at any time of the year. See more on Medicaid.
- Will Medicaid cover my children?
Your household income level will determine if your child or children can be covered by Medicaid.
- What is CHIP?
CHIP is a program that supports children in families that cannot afford private health insurance, but whose household income is too high to qualify for Medicaid.
- Does Medicaid satisfy the health insurance requirement?
Yes, Medicaid will satisfy the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) health insurance requirement for the covered individuals.
- What information and documents should I have when I'm signing up for Medicaid?
Depending on the Medicaid program being applied for, you will need the following: Identity, Social Security, proof you live in Massachusetts, proof of income, proof of medical costs, and bank account information.
- How does Obamacare work with Medicaid?
Because of Massachusetts' Medicaid eligibility requirements, Obamacare does not impact people who qualify for Medicaid and vice versa. As such tax credits are only available for people who are not eligible for other plans.
- What is MassHealth?
MassHealth provides healthcare benefits to low-income and moderate-income Massachusetts children, families, seniors, and people with disabilities. MassHealth offers benefits directly, or by paying part or all of your other health insurance premiums. As part of the Commonwealth